This forecast channel provides weekly video updates about the tropics during Atlantic hurricane season (June 1 through November 30) to all members. If you would like daily video updates during major events, visit our Severe Weather Tropical Update page, available only to our premium subscribers (register here). Check out our updated seasonal outlook here for free!
WeatherTiger Tropical Update Video for the Week of October 18th
Hurricane Ophelia became the furthest east category 3 hurricane in the last 50 years, and slammed western Europe as an intense post-tropical cyclone on Monday. Wind gusts in southeastern Ireland were clocked up to 119mph, which is an all-time Irish record.
There are no active storms in the Atlantic Basin today, and no immediate candidates to become Tropical Storm Phillippe. Strong shear is ripping across the Gulf and Caribbean as upper-level convergence stifles convection, and these unfavorable conditions are not expected to change for the next five to seven days.
Something that bears watching is that upper-level winds may become more supportive of convection in the Caribbean and western Atlantic starting around a week from now, and remain that way through the first week of November.
Fortunately, the jet stream pattern over the eastern U.S is favoring frequent frontal passages through the Southeast in week 2. This means that steering winds would be more than likely to keep any tropical development well south and east of Florida.
Quote of the week: "We know this world is good enough, because it has to be." -Miriam Toews
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update Video for the Week of October 18th
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update for the Week of October 11th
- WeatherTiger Hurricane Nate Update for October 7th
- WeatherTiger Tropical Storm Nate Update for October 6th
- WeatherTiger Tropical Storm Nate Update for October 5th
- TD16 Forecast and Tropical Update for the Week of October 4th
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update for the Week of September 27th
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update for the Week of September 20th
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update Video for the Week of September 13th
- IrmaWatch for Sunday Evening, September 10
- IrmaWatch for Sunday Morning, September 10
- IrmaWatch for Saturday Evening, September 9
- Irma Watch for Saturday Morning, September 9
- IrmaWatch for Friday Afternoon, September 8
- IrmaWatch for Friday Morning, September 8
- IrmaWatch for Thursday Afternoon, September 7
- IrmaWatch for Thursday Morning, September 7
- WeatherTiger IrmaWatch for Wednesday Afternoon, 9/6
- IrmaWatch for Wednesday Morning, September 6
- IrmaWatch for Tuesday Afternoon, 9/5