This forecast channel provides weekly video updates about the tropics during Atlantic hurricane season (June 1 through November 30) to all members. If you would like daily video updates during major events, visit our Severe Weather Tropical Update page, available only to our premium subscribers (register here). Check out our updated seasonal outlook here for free!
WeatherTiger Tropical Update Video for the Week of September 13th
Hurricane Jose needs to be watched in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast, due to a concerning tendency in the steering flow. Jose is a category 1 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 75mph, located about halfway between Puerto Rico and Bermuda. IThe good news here is that as Irma's remnants move northeast out of the Ohio Valley, it'll weaken the western flank of a ridge and Jose will turn north and east over the weekend, which is why there is no risk to Florida.
The bad news is, it's not clear whether Jose will continue moving northeast harmlessly into the open Atlantic, or turn west yet again to threaten the mid-Atlantic or New England towards the middle of next week. While models remain mostly offshore, they have been trending further west over the past few days. The bottom line is that this is a tricky pattern, and while it is still more likely than not that Jose does eventually go out-to-sea, there's also a better chance than models are advertising that it doesn't.
Other than Jose, there's no other tropical disturbances that are a concern at this time. However, we'll need to watch a couple of waves in or about to enter the eastern Atlantic over the next week, as they may slowly develop in a generally favorable environment over the next week. With that East Coast ridge likely to remain in place for at least the next week and a half, every wave will need to be watched closely in a dangerous steering pattern, particularly if they wait to develop until they are closer to the U.S.
Quote of the Week: "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -- Daniel J. Boorstin
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update Video for the Week of September 13th
- IrmaWatch for Sunday Evening, September 10
- IrmaWatch for Sunday Morning, September 10
- IrmaWatch for Saturday Evening, September 9
- Irma Watch for Saturday Morning, September 9
- IrmaWatch for Friday Afternoon, September 8
- IrmaWatch for Friday Morning, September 8
- IrmaWatch for Thursday Afternoon, September 7
- IrmaWatch for Thursday Morning, September 7
- WeatherTiger IrmaWatch for Wednesday Afternoon, 9/6
- IrmaWatch for Wednesday Morning, September 6
- IrmaWatch for Tuesday Afternoon, 9/5
- WeatherTiger Special Tropical Update for Major Hurricane Irma
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update Video for the Week of August 30th
- WeatherTiger Hurricane Harvey Update for August 25th
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update for the Week of August 23rd
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update for the Week of August 16th
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update for the Week of August 9th
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update for the Week of August 2nd
- WeatherTiger Tropical Update for the Week of July 26th